Funds Availability Policy
Your Ability to Withdraw Funds
Westby Co-op Credit Union’s (WCCU’s) policy is to make funds from your cash, checks and electronic direct deposits available to you on the same business day we receive the deposit. Once they are available, you can withdraw the funds in cash and we will use the funds to pay checks that you have written. For determining the availability of your deposits, every day is a business day, except Saturdays, Sundays and federal holidays. If you make a deposit before 5:00 PM on a business day that we are open, we will consider that day to be the day of your deposit. However, if you make a deposit after 5:00 PM or on a day we are not open, we will consider that the deposit was made on the next business day we are open.
Longer Delays May Apply
In some cases, we will not make all of the funds that you deposit by check available to you on the same business day of your deposit. Depending on the type of check that you deposit, funds may not be available until the second business day after the day of your deposit. The first $200 ($225.00 as of July 1, 2020) of your deposits, however, will be available on the same business day. If we are not going to make all of the funds from your deposit available on the same business day, we will notify you at the time you make your deposit. We will also tell you when the funds will be available. If your deposit is not made directly to one of your employees, or if we decide to take this action after you have left the premises, we will mail you the notice by the day after we receive your deposit. If you will need the funds from a deposit right away, you should ask us when the funds will be available. In addition, funds you deposit by check may be delayed for a longer period under the following circumstances:
- We believe a check you deposit will not be paid.
- You deposit checks totaling more than $5,000 ($5,525 as of July 1, 2020) on any one day.
- You redeposit a check that has been returned unpaid.
- You have overdrawn your account repeatedly in the last six months.
- There is an emergency, such as failure of computer or communications equipment.
We will notify you if we delay your ability to withdraw funds for any of these reasons, and we will tell you when the funds will be available. They will generally be available no later than the seventh business day after the day of your deposit.
Special Rules for New Accounts
If you are a new member, the following special rules will apply during the first 30 days your account is open.
- Funds from electronic direct deposits to your account will be available on the day we receive the deposit.
- Funds from deposits of cash, wire transfers, and the first $5,000 ($5,525 as of July 1, 2020) of a day’s total deposits of cashier’s, certified, teller’s, traveler’s, and federal, state and local government checks will be available on the first business day after the day of your deposit if the deposit meets certain conditions. For example, the checks must be payable to you (and you may have to use a special deposit slip). The excess over $5,000 ($5,525 as of July 1, 2020) will be available on the ninth business day after the day of your deposit. If your deposit of these checks (other than a U.S. Treasury check) is not made in person to one of our employees, the first $5,000 ($5,525 as of July 1, 2020) will not be available until the second business day after the day of your deposit.
- Funds from all other check deposits will be available on the ninth business day after the day of your deposit.
Checks drawn on financial institutions located outside the U.S. (Foreign checks) cannot be processed the same as checks drawn on U.S. financial institutions. Foreign checks are exempt from the policies outlined in this disclosure. Generally, the availability of funds for deposits of foreign checks will be delayed for the time it takes us to collect the funds from the financial institutions upon which it is drawn.